Wednesday, October 5, 2011

New Roman Missal: now in my hand...

LTP may have been the first of the publishers to dispatch their editions of the
English translation of the ROMAN MISSAL v3.  Maybe it is because the University of Dayton Campus Ministry made such a large order: one for each of the chapels, and one for each Campus Minister who regularly work with and plan out of the Missal.

I was warned that  I would be confused by the ordering of the sections. However, for the most part, it seems to me that RM3 follows the order we are used to in RM2/Sacramentary with these three exceptions:
  1. The Communion Rite follows Eucharistic Prayer 4. Then, after the Communion Rite comes the rest of the Eucharistic Prayers, namely, Reconciliation 1, Reconciliation 2, and the four variations of Eucharistic Prayers for Various needs. I expected to find the Communion Rite after ALL the EP's and not in the middle of the bunch.
  2. There is no Table of Contents in the front but there is a rather complete Index at the very end of the book. Hint: I added my own four tabs for quick reference to these very helpful pages.
  3. Not all of the prefaces are printed in one place as was the custom of previous English language Missals (Sacramentaries). Some prefaces are printed along with the other prayers and texts proper to that day. I have not had time to go through and note if I see a pattern in this usage.
I will add more comments as I have time to make more notes and as others point things out to me.

At this point I would also like to direct you  to a very helpful book: Pastoral Companion to the Roman Missal by Fr. Paul Turner, STD.  This book gives two pages to every Sunday and Solemnity of the Year. Fr. Paul gives an overview of the non-Scriptural texts of the day, viz. Entrance Antiphon, Collect etc. He also gives indications of the source material that forms each item. Included too are suggested introductions and concluding prayers for the Prayer of the Faithful for the A-B-C cycles of the Sunday texts. If you are ordering by phone or online it would be handy to have the ISBN #978-1-58459-514-4. If you are not familiar with World Library Publications you owe it to yourself to check their website for many treasures: http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/about_us.htm . You can also browse their newest products including RM3 specific materials: http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/browse.htm

More later.
If you have recommendations, drop me a line.